God’s got a way of reminding me that my plans do not
equal his plans. Tonight for example.
I intended to buy my groceries, head home, clean a bit
and then cook dinner for myself. After finishing, I was going to pop downstairs
to say hi to my host family and then perhaps enjoy a movie by myself to relax
for a while and be quite for the evening. I think God just kind of laughed at
that.
Just before I started cooking, the power went out. As in
half of Beit Jala was black. And my plans quickly changed.
Normally there are a few more lights out there...
I dug through my emergency box to assemble a flashlight and
Teta Reema appeared on my rooftop, laughing and asking if I was ok.
Laughing and flicking on my flashlight I follow her
downstairs to experience the dark with family. I am offered food and enjoy a
deliciously simple meal by candlelight. Reema, Kamal and I watch the cars
coming down the hill opposite us-the only light visible throughout the dark
neighborhood. Reema and I reminisced about the times of candlelight in our
pasts-mine childhood storms and hers times of change at the start of her
marriage.
Rena and her father Samer come and join the small party
and we chat. Rena and I look at a book and play with the flashlight. We head
downstairs to see the rest of our sisters and brother. They are just finishing
their homework by the light of two candles and then we work on English. Rosanna
asks me questions and Rand and her mother Salwa work to translate for the both
of us.
Finally, the lights flicker back on and we cheer. But in
a few minutes, the lights are out again and the candles return to the table.
When the lights come on again, it is time for bed. The
girls and I head into the bedroom and all snuggle onto the bed. Giggling ensues
and I am begged for a story. But apparently I tell “Goldilocks and the Three
Bears” wrong-I need to brush up on my fairy tales. I listen to Rand’s story as
she speaks in English and then translates into Arabic. I quiz the girls after
about the story, per their request.
The next request is harder to turn down. I am asked to
just sleep there, but seeing as no one is even close to falling asleep, I have
a feeling a school night may not be the best idea. We plan for a sleepover in
the coming month. I am informed that I am very beautiful without my glasses, so
shouldn't wear them as often. Rena gets very possessive over my hair and
somehow I manage to detangle myself from blankets and arms and kisses, all
while holding on to a new fruit that sort of resembles a pear.
Even after returning to my room, two hours after the
power first went out, I do not fully trust the electricity as it flickers on
and off. I will probably never know what made the power go out and I think I am
ok with that because now I know what candlelight illuminates.
Beautiful!! I love it :)
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, the power went out here as well, but I think it came on far faster.
I love the picture you paint of this beautiful evening! Thinking of you always. <3
ReplyDelete